The terms hors d’oeuvres and appetizers are often confused and used improperly. Appetizers are usually considered first course meals and are served at the table. Hors d’oeuvres are small savory bites passed by servers to guests. It is usually presented during cocktails. It can be butler passed or buffet style.
The canapes at Mitzuyan Kosher Catering are made fresh to order. We do not use frozen prepared products. Our kosher catering team hand makes all our hors d’ouevres for each function.
Mitzuyan Hot Hors D’oeuvres
- Chicken Satays
- Beef satays
- Moroccan Cigars
- Burakas- potato, spinach
- Mini samosas
- Vegetarian spring rolls
- Sweet potato fries in take-out boxes
- Mini falafels
- Dim sum chicken dumplings on porcelain spoons
- Toonie burger bites
- Potato latkes with maple pear compote
- Sage Fritters with Lemon Aioli
- Artichoke tempura with sea salt and Asian dipping sauce
- Argentine Empanadas with parsley mash, chimi churi sauce
- Tandoori salmon satays with roasted apple chutney
- South Beach Crab Cakes with lime mango salsa
- Morrocan chicken cake with spicy tomato jam
- Oven cured Tomato, carmelized red onion on puff pastry
- Pad thai noodles in take out boxes
- Barbequed chicken wing lollipops
Mitzuyan Cold Hors D’oeuvres
- Soft taco with smoked trout lemon crème fraiche
- Phylo tartlets with chiffonade of leek and fennel
- Smoked salmon in cucumber cups with toasted sesame seeds
- Plantain chips with chicken salad and mango salsa
- Crostini with fire roasted tomato boats and coriander pesto
- Red and yellow grape tomato purple basil salad in phylo tart
- Mushroom Bruschetta- wild mushroom ragu on herb crostini
The number of hors d’oeuvres you need often depends on how long the cocktail “hour” is, the time of day, and if a meal will also be served following the cocktail hour.
For a two hour party plan for:
- 10-12 bites per person
- 20 bites per person if the hors d’oeuvres replace dinner (e.g., if the party starts at 7:00 pm)
When hors d’oeuvres are served before a meal, plan for:
- 5-7 bites when served before a light meal
- 3-4 bites when served before a full dinner meal
People eat more during the first 90 minutes. After two hours consumption picks up again, especially if hors d’oeuvres replace dinner.
Young people eat more than an older crowd and guests eat more at casual parties than formal functions.